Thursday, November 6, 2008

The house is finished part 2...the outside

Ok, here it is....the big one. We've been quite busy working on the house this year...and I do mean busy. We updated the outside of the house. Partially because we needed a new roof and partially because we had no insulation in the house what-so-ever! So here are some pics of all that went on. A huge THANK YOU to all that helped: Dad, Carter, Carter's helper, Carl, Travis (aka Gimp at the time...haha), Jody, Colton, and to my extremely handy husband, your awesome!

So here is what the under side of the sheeting looked like...not in good shape.
YUK! I can't even begin to tell you how many wasp nest there were under here and how many times Josh got stung.




Blowing the first round of insulation in...to the walls.

Last look of the old roof.




Bye bye old roof


Picking up the shingles.



The guys stripped the first layer of sheeting off.

Will helping Grandpa out.

Loading up Carters trailer with approx 2 TONS, yes I said 2 TONS of roof!


It was a huge mess. I am still finding pieces of shingles and stuff around out front.

Josh getting ready to start putting up the new sheeting.
Ahhh, can we say safe and sturdy roof.

The roof is sheeted and tar papered.

We do have a nice view, if you wanted to sit on the roof to enjoy it.


Getting ready to put more insulation in. I think we blew 35+ bags into the attic. OMFH!

And of course, it rained, and rained and rained. It hadn't rained in like 2 months, and the weekend we decide to do our roof it rained buckets!

This is how much rain we got. Did I mention that it rained this much in like 24 hours!

This is what the front of the house used to look like.

Getting ready for shingles.


The attic in now sufficiently insulated!

And the roof is on!
Josh and company had the roof stripped, re-sheeted, insulated and shingled in 3 days! Way to go guys!

Getting some 1" thick insulation put on the front of the house before we get siding put on.

Ahhhh, new roof.

Wow...what a great job!

The siding and fascia and soffit and such are complete!

Well, there you have it. We've since painted the front door and purchased a new light fixture for above the garage door. The house has come a long ways and it looks so good!
So that leaves the next question...what's the next project going to be? Only time will tell.
p.s. I have to tell you that I got up on the roof, not once, but twice. The view was beautiful, but I'm not big on heights!

5 comments:

Abby said...

That is so crazy! It looks awesome! Wow, I can't believe what a change that siding makes. Wierd question: Did you find any bird skeletons in the attic? Once when I was little a family of crows or something made a nest in there somehow. Kent came over and sealed it up with the birds inside and they struggled to get out for days. It totally traumatized me and I've never forgotten it. I always imagined they were still up there.

Unknown said...

That is roof number 3 for that house, and the third time is the charm. It taught me that time takes it toll. It is the last roof I am putting on anywhere. If anyone else needs a new roof, I will co sign the loan to have it done!!!! It was a great time to spend time with my boys though. Even if I had to put up with ribbing!!!!

Chris said...

Nice work, the house looks great. I think your project(s) would definitely fit in the "rewarding" category.

The Kilpacks said...

I don't think that we found any bird skeletons, but a yaer or so ago, we had a family making a nest up in the corner! It was crazy.
I also noticed that I didn't get a pic of the new garage door on here either!
Dad, I don't think anyone would let you get back on the roof again...seeing as how we almost killed you! haha

Abby said...

Yeah, don't kill dad. Please.